Figure Painting

I have been working on this painting on and off since almost the beginning of the semester and I can finally call it a finished piece. The figures in the painting are based on actual figures from a photo I took but their light source and surrounding were invented. So this piece ending up being a battle I never thought I would resolve completely.

The process of this painting is interesting to me to look back at. It’s getting easier for me to allow the painting to have what it needs. For example, there was a third figure present but she made the painting feel tight and congested. To increase the flow of the space the third figure needed to be removed. I also wanted the viscosity of the painting to be juicy to enhance the flow of the composition. I learned so much from this painting and if I had to do it over there are so many things I would do differently but I am happy with my results.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.